Originally posted October 22, 2012, this is a good reminder to stay grounded and remember the meaning of the season.
Motorcycles stay grounded by having both tires in contact with the road. It only takes a small contact patch The contact patch of the tire is small, but that’s all it takes to allow you to balance and control It’s minute relative to the power unleashed above it. Yet without that connection to the road, your ability to control it would be unsustainable. . and eventually the motorcycle would topple.
An obvious lesson is that you must keep your feet planted firmly on the ground if you’re going to be of value to yourself and others. Optimizing your health builds a solid foundation on which to build the rest of your life. The greater lesson is that a small amount of applied effort, prepares you for much greater things. These healthy practices will keep your feet firmly planted on the ground.
9 Practices to Keep You Grounded
- Eat healthy. The best diet has a balance of nutrients within a healthy caloric intake. Avoid overeating and maintain a healthy weight by limiting your calories.
- Exercise. Get out and do something active! Aerobic exercise, like walking, burns calories, builds endurance, promotes heart health and strength. Anaerobic exercise, as in strength training, builds bone density, muscle and burns calories.
- Declutter Home should be a comforting, relaxing place to unwind at the end of the day. Coming home after a hectic day and being overwhelmed by a long list of things that need doing is not a nurturing environment. Read these tips to help change that. 10 Small Changes To De-Stress Your Home
- Sleep. Adequate sleep benefits your heart, weight and mind. It improves memory, strengthens your immune system, promotes creativity and keeps your mind sharp. Read 11 Surprising Health Benefits of Sleep
- Play. Laugh. Give yourself permission to have fun. Play positively affects mood, boosts the immune system and improves health and well-being, delaying the onset of chronic disease. And besides, it’s fun!! Read: Adults Relearn Benefits of Play
- Go Outside. Sunlight improves your mood, acts as a natural depressant, aids sleep and fights cancer.
- Go Natural. Spending time in nature increases your sense of connectedness to all living things and allows you to experience the cycles of the natural world. It’s calming, and usually entails the added benefit of physical exercise.
- Socialize. Connecting with other people and forming close relationships nourishes your emotional and spiritual health. Stay in contact with friends and family, express your love and affection to your partner and loved ones regularly. Volunteer for your favorite cause.
- Meditate. Even a few minutes in the morning can bring calm and focus that extends throughout the day. It’s also known to reduce stress, relieve anxiety and mild depression, slow the anger response and increase self-acceptance and personal insight. Read Meditation: Why it is good for your brain
Taking these steps to keep you grounded on your life’s road maximizes your available power, enhances your relationship with self and others, opens your creative potential and gives you the strength to withstand life’s challenges. It’s the foundation to a joyful, purposeful life.