Have you or someone you’re riding with ever had a mishap where your bike ended up on the ground? What happened? This was the topic of conversation on a recent Motorcycle Mojo Facebook chat.
Learn from what happened to these riders.
- Liz J. This is my bike after we slid down a hill. I let fear get the best of me and didn’t do such a good job of negotiating a hairpin turn banked with gravel coming down a steep driveway.
- Ursula B. yes! Slid home twice and once at an off ramp! Thank-goodness for that crash bar , barely any damage to the bike! :0 I think my dirt bike experience helps as I think I know “how to crash” if that is possible to understand.
- Stuart H. Blue Ridge Parkway last year, from South to North. Reached mile marker “1”, and turned around to take a picture of it, over balanced and layed it gently onto it’s side (Honda -ST1300 loaded) Two guys on Harleys, stopped to take the same photo, came over and helped me lift it and walked away, with not a single word exchanged or necessary «:-)
- Donna R. Not me personally…but I was driving my car along a winding highway when I noticed a rider coming in the opposite direction. I recognized that the rider was not going to make the curve….so I stopped my car…and sure enough…that rider went off the road in front of me and into the ditch. Had I not stopped, she would have hit my car. Lucky for that rider, the ditch was overgrown with long grass.
- Garry S. Buddy hit a deer, bent forks and major road rash.
- Dave C. I have a logic..2 types of bikers..those who have been down and those that will…eventually. Bless those that don’t but the odds are against us. I’ve many years of motocross. .so that’s a no brainer.. bounced a lot..lol..then quite a few years of street. I’ve been taken out by 2 left turn cagers..both very serious. .one other riding to the extreme and miscalculated my abilities….totally my fault..and almost ended my life..fortunately for that stupidity. .I was alone and no one else was at risk. .that was all over 25 years ago. .I now have about 40 years riding experience and I still watch for that next “one”
- Peter B. Was backing out my parents’ inclined driveway. When I reached the bottom where the back wheel was on the road and the front wheel was on the driveway my feet could barely touch the ground. Just then a gust of wind hit me from the side and over I went, trapping my leg under the bike. My parents always worry about me riding a motorcycle and I’m sure that incident just worsened their fears!
- Curtis D. i was at a red light and a VW golf hit me at 110 kms . the driver said he fell asleep after doing night shift . don’t remember the hit but they say i was awake through it all . took me out for a year and i still feel it today . that was in 2001.
- Glenn S. Cut off at an intersection, hit a pot hole while taking evasive driving, unfortunately the front wheel hit the pot hole and I went over the handle bars…..
- Danielle D. Just a slow motion tip over. And probably only ten or fifteen times. Now my bike is lowered. Lol
- Doug J. I worked in a few shops and had tire problems on two occasions. Broken collar bone the last time. Someone else picked it up for me. Both incidents in cold temps on new rubber.
- Curtis D. Didn’t put the kick stand down at a bike night show n shine. Yep most of them seen. That’s all I got to say about that lol i just got my harley and i was parading around the parking lot too . Most of us have done something like that.
- Tim D. Looking at a girl monitoring a wading pool and missed the corner, in 1980, I’ve grown up.
- Noel H. Last time was me, riding off the Ferry in Fauquier BC, adjusting my odometer/clock, not paying attention to the road and riding into the ditch. No damage but I did cover myself with thimbleberrys. The wasps thought I was money from home for the rest of the trip.
- Mark M. I was fifteen, and not paying attention… hit a stopped car doing about 40 mph, the bike went under the back of the car, I flipped over the roof of the car into on coming traffic (busy four lane road at lunchtime). I don’t know how, other than angels watching over me, I was not hit by any cars, nor was I hurt. The bike didn’t do so good, but I was still able to ride it back home after the accident.
Have you ever had an accident? Even something minor? What happened and what can we learn from it? Comment below.