10 ways to Show Yourself Some Love
by Liz Jansen
Think of how you treat your motorcycle. You admire it, take it on fun excursions and nourish it with the right ingredients. Treat it will and you’ve got a friend for life. Show yourself some love by treating yourself as well as you treat your motorcycle.
- Listen to your intuition. Prioritize this above opinions of all others. This is your connection to spirit, your wisest advisor. This is who knows you best and knows what’s best for you. If there is only one thing you remember from this list, this is it. By listening, you honor and respect who you are. Ignoring messages from your motorcycle, like engine noises, unusual performance or a fuel gauge that says “E”, risks damaging your self and your motorcycle.
- Say nice things to yourself. Consciously note the words you use to describe yourself, even if it’s in jest. Your subconscious doesn’t know if you’re joking or serious. It believes them all literally. Make those words inspiring and encouraging, just as you do when you talk to your motorcycle.
- Learn to say no. It’s easy to recognize ways to conserve energy on your motorcycle and even easier to read the fuel gauge. While monitoring your own reserves is less exact, it helps to focus your energy on what you’re supposed to be doing, and leave the work of others to them. It’s also about letting go of toxic or draining relationships. It’s hard to say no but you’ve got a job to do and depleting your energy doesn’t serve anyone.
- Carve out time for yourself. You have to look after your motorcycle or eventually it will let you down. Even if it’s only a few minutes, find a quiet spot and decompress uninterrupted. If you live with others, let them know that this time is non-negotiable.
- Stay in balance. Strength is built on a solid foundation. You are more than your physical body, so it’s important to nourish body, mind and spirit. This maximizes your energy and gives you a solid basis from which to work.
- Treat yourself. You are special. Treat your body to a massage, give yourself a gift, or go to a movie. Show yourself you care.
- Spend time in nature. I’m most connected to spirit when I’m moving through time and space on my motorcycle, along a river, through the woods, in the mountains or across the open plains. Immerse yourself in natural surroundings as often as possible, getting grounded and centered.
- Show gratitude. Give thanks every day before your feet hit the floor. Starting each day with gratitude sets you up on a positive note for the day—a strong starting point for the demands of the day. Read: The Benefits of Gratitude
- Use the mirror. Once your feet are on the floor, walk to a mirror and smile at the face that’s smiling back at you. Tell her, “I love you. You are beautiful!” Watch the smile widen. You show love and appreciation to your motorcycle. Don’t overlook yourself.
- Do what you love. If you try and force your motorcycle to perform a role it wasn’t designed for, it doesn’t work well. Why would you do it to yourself? Think of the tension and resistance it creates. It takes courage to follow your heart, but you’ll be paid back with rewards and opportunities beyond your wildest dreams.
You’ll enjoy the best relationships with others and be of most service when you love yourself first. Jot down a few notes on how you will show yourself some love. Do them. Your spirit will thank you for it.
photo credit: Ahmed Rabea via photopin cc