13 World Kindness Day Ideas
by Liz Jansen
It seems absurd to have to call specific attention to being kind when it’s part of our nature, especially to an audience of motorcycle riders. As a group, we’re known for our acts of charity and kindness. Just look at any summer riding calendar and observe the charity events schedule. Yet committing an intentional act of kindness is exactly the idea behind World Kindness Day.
Yet since genuine displays of kindness have far-reaching effects and change not only the recipient but also the donor, it bears visiting on today, World Kindness Day. Your selfless actions also set an example and encourage others to follow suit. After all, the world needs kindness now more than ever. Read: Can Kindness Be Taught
The list of kindness gestures is endless and if you’re open to them, you’ll spot opportunities throughout the day. Pledge to commit one random act of kindness today, and then do it.
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Donate books, food or clothes to your local community organization.
- Hold the door open for a stranger.
- Compliment someone you don’t usually see eye to eye with (even a competitor) on a creative idea they’ve had.
- Bring your neighbor’s recycle boxes in from the curb (so they don’t get blown onto the road and run over as mine did).
- Mail someone a card to let him or her know you’re thinking about him.
- Email a personal message of encouragement to someone who’s going through a challenging time. This has been extremely touching to me over the past few months.
- Offer to run an errand for someone who’s having difficulty getting around.
- Let someone with fewer items in the grocery checkout go ahead of you.
- Shovel your neighbor’s sidewalk as well as your own.
- Offer to give someone a ride to his or her destination.
- Make and deliver a meal to a shut-in. (Our local Youth Shelter loves it when people bring in ready-cooked meals, and they offer a tax receipt.)
- Offer to give a friend who’s stressed from childcare or eldercare an afternoon off while you watch their loved one.
- Pick up the phone and call someone you’ve lost touch with.
Rather than teaching children to give in to irrational fear and stay away from public events because of a one in a million chance that something might happen, show them how kindness neutralizes fear. You’re teaching them empowerment and helping to change the world.
However you decide to celebrate, World Day doesn’t have to cost a thing and it pays off in spades.
What acts of kindness can you add to this list? Enter them in the comments.
Other Resources: The Random Acts of Kindness Foundation
photo credit: symphony of love via photopin cc
I didn’t know it was world kindness day, But yesterday when I was grocery shopping , I also bought some flowers. There was this Old gentleman beside Me at check out, and said something I didn’t understand, but as we exited the store He gave Me this wonderful smile. I broke off one flower, and gave it to Him. He just shined ,and had sparkles in His eyes. It really warmed My heart. And I’m sure His day was brighter also.
Beautiful story Maria. Thank you for sharing. You just warmed my heart!