With freedom comes choices. With choices come accountability. That makes choice one of life’s greatest gifts and one of its greatest challenges.
Your actions affect your safety, determine the experience of your ride and whether you arrive at your destination.
It’s the same in life. Thoughts control your emotions and behaviors and influence your confidence, perception of your power and personal effectiveness.
The choices you make determine how much of your personal power is expressed, the nature of your journey and how successful you are.
9 Choices that Express Your Power
- Be authentic. There is only one you. You have unique gifts and abilities to share with the world. You can’t experience fulfillment if you’re trying to be someone you think others want you to be. Be yourself and you’ll attract others who appreciate you for who you really are.
- Take personal accountability. Just like on a motorcycle, you alone are in control of your choices. No one else makes them for you. Own up your decisions and actions. Mistakes are merely teachers. Learn from them and do things differently next time.
- Be persistent. Everyone’s Road has areas of construction, detours and unexpected delays. If you let them discourage you, you’ll never arrive at your destination. You may need to reduce your speed for a stretch of Road and adjust your schedule. Keep your eyes on where you want to go and your hand on the throttle. You’ll get there.
- Respect fear. Fear visits everyone. It’s a warning to take notice. While your safety could be at risk, more often fear is an unrealistic response to change that accompanies growth. Your insecure ego feels threatened and throws all kinds of thoughts into your head to try and stop you. Assess it’s nature and validity. Then instead of letting fear hold you back, use fear’s energy to move you constructively towards your goal.
- Focus on what you can control. Life has given you everything you need. Your Road is a balance between accepting where it leads you and making choices to navigate through it. There’s enough to focus on in your immediate surroundings. Worrying about conditions that might change down the road wastes energy better spent in the present.
- Eliminate negativity. Constant negative thinking can still your power. It disrupts your journey and your spirit’s striving for harmony and balance. Check your thoughts carefully and de-clutter your mind. Respond only to those thoughts that will contribute to building the life you want.
- Work hard. Life is an active process. Harvest means toil as well as abundance and the effort is well spent if focused and done in the service of personal growth.
- Love who you are. Healthy relationships begin with loving your self first. Appreciate your uniqueness and be grateful for your gifts. Protect and nurture your body, mind and spirit as befitting the precious being you are.
- Surround yourself with positive people. These are people who love you for who you are and aren’t trying to make you into someone else. They apply that same wisdom to their own life. They’re positive and constructive, ready to lend a hand and there to celebrate your success.
All the power you need is within you, available to move you down your Road. The choices you make determine how that power is applied and where it leads you. Listening to your intuition, focusing on your goal and choosing wisely, gets you to your destination.
- Life Lessons from Motorcycles: 7 Revs of Personal Power
- 9 Actions That Interfere with Transfer of Power