7 Ways to Live Your Brand
“Brand” a marketing term used to categorize us and convey a specific message. It’s not who we are. It’s the perception of who we are and like beauty, it’s in the eyes of the beholder.
As a child, my dad told me Del Monte meant “kill the farmer.” Obviously he was feeling squeezed by a giant food producer. It’s stuck with me to this day.
Not only do we run impressions of people and things through our own filter and assign them a brand, we also label ourselves based on those that have been assigned to us.
We immediately form opinions of the motorcycle – and its rider – based on whether it’s a BMW, Yamaha, Honda, Harley-Davidson or Ducati
7 ways to live your brand
- Beware of branding traps. Just like preconceived notions can lead us to misjudge the appropriateness of a motorcycle, so too can we misjudge others. 9 Branding Traps We Get Caught In
- Match your style to your purpose. Essentially brands are the external representation of your inner self. They reflect your values, perspecties and interests. Although you may try, you cannot be all things to all people. Listen to your heart, follow your passion and do the thing you’re here to do. 9 styles that reflect your purpose
- Be authentic. I know it sounds cliché, but if you’re not living the life you’re meant to live, it will suck the energy right out of you. I’ve been there. 9 signs you’re not living authentically
- Build from the inside out. You were born into a specific setting. As you grow, gain self-awareness, understand your role and power, our lifestyle evolves accordingly to reflect who you think you are. The strongest brand is created when what you reflect externally matches who you are inside. 9 blocks for building your brand
- Know what makes you unique. Do the thin only You can do. As esteemed as they are, the world doesn’t need another Mark Zuckerberg, Meryl Streep or (insert your favorite person). Those roles are already taken. You each have a unique purpose that only you can fill. 9 attributes that make you unique
- Keep your brand fresh. Manufacturers spend millions to create an image through advertising, PR and sponsorship. And the job is never done. To keep their brand front and center, they need to be out in public, with a consistent message and creative ways to keep awareness high. 9 ways of keeping your brand fresh
- Learn from the experts. Companies go to great lengths to establish, protect and strengthen their image. Your brand is how you’re defined, who you are, or more accurately, the perception of who you are. And it’s one of your most valuable assets. Stay true to it! 9 personal branding tips
You’ve taken a lifetime to create your brand. It takes a great deal of courage to stand up for who you are. Just as one motorcycle is not going to appeal to everyone, so too your message is not a one size fits all. But if each of us follow our inner guidance, when all of our messages come together, profound change occurs.