19 Riders Recommend Which Motorcycle Tools to Carry for Travel
As reliable as most bikes are, it’s still a good idea to ride prepared. Qualified mechanics may not be within reach of where you are on the open road and if you get a flat, a saddlebag mount breaks or your clutch lever breaks in a tip over, it’s good to carry the basics to get you through.
We asked the readers of Motorcycle Mojo Magazine, “What tools do you carry with you on trips?”
- Ursula B. IPhone so if anything breaks I can call someone who cares!
- Linda Y. Just the bike tool kit. If the bike did break down I would call for help. I would not know how to fix
- Mark K. tire irons, tire repair kit, pump, BMW Cruz Tools kit, volt meter, bailing wire, duct tape and filter wrench.
- Kathy B. None at this point because I really would not know what to do with them!
- Carole N. Wine opening device
- Suzie Q B. Yes I also have the duct tape! !! Pink..
- Suzie Q B. Yep…AMA… oh and a tire air gauge… and if Deb Banack is with us…she has everything…lol
- John H. Visa.
- Michele C. 80 lb tool box full,..in toe of sidecar
- Brad S. tire repair kit & mini compressor, and kit with common sockets, ratchet, extension, wrenches and multi bit screw driver, fuses, spare bulbs, electrical tape, epoxy glue, 2 sided 3M tape, tiny flashlight, electrical tester and more small stuff. Came in handy more than once, the rest is just-in-case. All tools fit in a zippered shave travel bag except tire repair stuff and mini compressor.
- Lindsay T. Credit card and cell phone
- Glenn R. None, Its a Honda.
- Joseph B. Most things to do small and large running repairs, mechanical, electrical and I even carry a spare fuel pump. When I’m out on the long lonely highways, I like to know I have a chance to get going and not be totally dependent on others. Nothing worse than being stranded and having to wait for help to arrive. Sometimes a mobile phone and a credit card just don’t cut it.
- Gene B. The factory issued tool kit (metric) and three real open end combo wrenches , plus as smallish ratchet and three deep sockets ,as well as a 6 in Crescent!
- Paul B. a variety of wrenches, rope, and tape
- Cory D. Tire gauge, pliers, screw driver and sport straps
- Brenda B. Phone, extra pliers, rope, bungee cords.
- Rick W. Multi screwdriver, sockets, spare spark plugs, wrenches, hex keys, black tape, duct tape, traps, fuses
- Tom M. The stock H-D kit plus compressor and tire repair kit plus sockets, some flat wrenches, screwdrivers, zip ties, and of course, Duct Tape.
What favourite motorcycle tools do you carry for travel?