9 Nutrients That Keep Your Engines Purring
Nutrients are derived from a variety of sources, each one required for its unique characteristics. Whether we’re talking motorcycles or human beings, the right mix of nutrients is required to keep you in optimal shape.
Motorcycles require gasoline, air and motor oil to keep their engines running. Some require coolant and all need brake fluid. Each is required in specific quantities and there’s no substituting one for another. Likewise, body, mind or spirit, require specific ingredients to stay healthy and vibrant.
9 nutrients you need to keep your engine purring
- Adventure. Pushing past your limits to learn something new, try something different and meet new people, feeds your spirit, boosts your confidence and make you feel good about yourself. It doesn’t have to be grandiose. It just needs to be right – and a stretch – for you.
- Relationships. Even those of you who love to be alone are communal beings. Vibrant relationships with partners, family, friends, co-workers and acquaintances are essential for a healthy body, mind and spirit. Most important of all is the relationship you have with yourself. Take time to nourish it.
- Spirit Time. This is the essence of who you are, your connection to others, to the Universe and your source of power. So often it gets neglected by work and other commitments. Yet staying in touch with who you are is the key to inner joy and fulfillment.
- Food for body. Your body needs the correct ratio of fats, carbohydrates and proteins. Periodically assess your diet to ensure you’re getting what you need from it, adding high quality supplements to address deficiencies. As a relatively new vegetarian, diligent, or so I thought, with a balanced diet, I was shocked to realize how little protein I was actually taking in. Protein supplements corrected that and made me feel a whole lot better.
- Food for mind. Not only is a healthy diet good for your body, it’s good for your mind. Engaging in a variety of activities which use different brain functions helps keep it active and sharp.
- Exercise. Regular exercise helps control your weight, ward off illness, reduce stress, improves your mood and increases your energy level.
- Time with Nature. I can’t help but feel connected to myself and a greater power when I spend time in nature. Whether it’s a walk through the woods or a motorcycle ride in the mountains, there’s just no substitute for nature when it comes to nourishment for your spirit.
- Sense of Worth. Everyone needs a sense of purpose and the knowledge that they’re contributing to a cause greater than themselves. Work, volunteer activities or simply extending kindness to a stranger are ways you can do this. Again, it doesn’t have to be grandiose. Acts of kindness go a long way in making the world a better place. What is your legacy?
- Play. Laughter and play are just plain fun! They keep us young in spirit, keep us energized, reduce tension, improve our physical and mental health and create a positive environment.
Are you getting the nutrients you need to flourish? If not, there’s no time like the present to change your diet and get started. Feed your being the right ingredients and keep your engines running!
- Life Lessons from Motorcycles: 7 Aspects of Holistic Nutrition
- 9 Sources of Junk Food for the Soul
- 9 Things to Draw the Line On